<<< back to article list

Survey Reports and What's an RPR?

Blog by Robin Lear | August 24th, 2013

  • +1
Whenever you are selling a home in Calgary, you are obliged by contract to supply a buyer with an RPR, also called a survey report.  This must accurately reflect the state of the REAL Property itself, including Fences, Decks, and immovable structure.  If you've added a Fence or a Deck without a permit, then you may be in trouble.  The city has a number of requirements and rules, which never come in to play until you are selling your house.  They require an updated and COMPLIANT Rpr that must be done by a Land Surveyor which can run you about $500 to $1000 depending on changes made.  Plus if you have changes not authorized by the city or are encroaching within their guidelines, it'll cost you another $300 for approval and of course the city compliance stamp of $150.  Unfortunately a necessary part of listing and selling your Single Family home.  The city's rules around heights of fences or decks, proximity to the back fence line etc...are complicated, and you're best to check them prior to building your fence or deck, otherwise it often results in headaches when you sell and 4 or 5 hours of hanging out with the City of Calgary Development dept, for fun.